Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daleo717

I am reporting USA social security pension income. Where do I take off the 15% deduction because of the tax treaty?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am reporting USA social security pension income. Where do I take off the 15% deduction because of the tax treaty?

To enter the income in the correct place,

Click "Income"

Click "T-slips"

Scroll down the "Income Slips" page until you see "Foreign Income."  Select "Foreign Income"

Click "Continue" until you see the "Foreign Slip" screen.

Enter the total amount of the US Social Security income received in the "US social security benefits" field.  If you enter the amount in US Funds, ensure you also include the exchange rate in the "Exchange rate" field.

The software will automatically calculate 15% and include that amount at line 256 of the T1.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Have you entered the income in the Foreign Income section, in the field for Social Security?

yes

To enter the income in the correct place,

Click "Income"

Click "T-slips"

Scroll down the "Income Slips" page until you see "Foreign Income."  Select "Foreign Income"

Click "Continue" until you see the "Foreign Slip" screen.

Enter the total amount of the US Social Security income received in the "US social security benefits" field.  If you enter the amount in US Funds, ensure you also include the exchange rate in the "Exchange rate" field.

The software will automatically calculate 15% and include that amount at line 256 of the T1.