Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am resident for Canadian Tax purposes. I have pension at Singapore from my past employments before landed in Canada. Do I have to report pension's interest?

I have not withdrawn the pension. At the end of every year, the interest will be added to my pension. Based on the tax treaty below, do I have to report the interest?

Article XVII
Pensions and Annuities

Pensions and annuities arising in a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State.

Article XX
Income not Expressly Mentioned

1. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of this Article, items of income of a resident of a Contracting State which are not expressly mentioned in the foregoing Articles of this Convention shall be taxable only in that Contracting State.

2. However, if such income is derived by a resident of a Contracting State from sources in the other Contracting State, such income may also be taxed in the State in which it arises, and according to the law of that State.

3. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 2, in the case of alimony or maintenance payments and in the case of income of or from an estate or trust derived from sources in Canada by a resident of Singapore who is subject to tax in respect thereof, the tax charged in Canada shall not exceed 15 per cent of the gross amount of the payments or the income, as the case may be.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am resident for Canadian Tax purposes. I have pension at Singapore from my past employments before landed in Canada. Do I have to report pension's interest?

Unless and until you receive either pension payments and/or interest amounts in Canada, you do not need to report them to CRA.

Also, under the present tax treaty, any such amounts are liable to be taxed at source in Singapore, and exempt from CRA taxes.

When you do receive this pension, amounts would be included in total income but deducted on line 256 as tax exempt in Canada. Such amounts would not be eligible for pension credit or pension splitting.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unless and until you receive either pension payments and/or interest amounts in Canada, you do not need to report them to CRA.

Also, under the present tax treaty, any such amounts are liable to be taxed at source in Singapore, and exempt from CRA taxes.

When you do receive this pension, amounts would be included in total income but deducted on line 256 as tax exempt in Canada. Such amounts would not be eligible for pension credit or pension splitting.