Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awebb2977

I am trying to contribute to my 2018 HBP, I paid into my RRSP in 2018, however I'm getting the error on Turbotax stating that you can't use contributions from 2017?

I get the following error when I try to e-file:  "You have unused RRSP contributions from prior years and you have designated RRSP contributions as your HBP and/or LLP repayment. Any portion of RRSP contributions made in 2017 or before cannot be designated as HBP/LLP repayments."  I contributed $2618 to a spousal RRSP, and my minimum payment for my HBP is $1309. I'm trying to designate my $2618 RRSP contribution this year directly to my HBP to finish it off.  I have no contributions I'm trying to claim from 2017 or early.

I've done this with Turbotax for the last several years with no issue, this is the first time I'm having a problem.  Please can you advise so I can finish filing.  In fact, this is the first time I've ever had a problem using Turbotax.

1 Reply
mavixx

I am trying to contribute to my 2018 HBP, I paid into my RRSP in 2018, however I'm getting the error on Turbotax stating that you can't use contributions from 2017?

I had the same issue. Here is a response from TruboTax and confirmed by my call to CRA: An RRSP contribution made in January 2018 must be reported on the 2017 income tax return and then you have the option to carry it forward as an unused contribution. However, unused RRSP contributions cannot be claimed as HBP repayments. Please see the following FAQ for instructions on how to submit an adjustment request.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992