Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I changed jobs and transferred the funds in my RPP directly into my RRSP. Can I designate some of funds transferred into RRSP as a Home Buyers' Plan repayment?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I changed jobs and transferred the funds in my RPP directly into my RRSP. Can I designate some of funds transferred into RRSP as a Home Buyers' Plan repayment?

You cannot because the transfer of funds from RPP to RRSP is between registered accounts, and is not subject to deduction limits or recontribution rules. It is not a new contribution as such, and cannot be considered part of your HBP repayment.

With an HBP repayment, you must have made a sufficient actual RRSP contribution, restricted by your Amount A deduction limit.
You cannot deduct the HBP repayment, as it was already deducted previously. Also if you fail to make sufficient new contribution in the year to cover your HBP repayment, CRA assumes you have permanently withdrawn the shortfall amount and treats it as taxable income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot because the transfer of funds from RPP to RRSP is between registered accounts, and is not subject to deduction limits or recontribution rules. It is not a new contribution as such, and cannot be considered part of your HBP repayment.

With an HBP repayment, you must have made a sufficient actual RRSP contribution, restricted by your Amount A deduction limit.
You cannot deduct the HBP repayment, as it was already deducted previously. Also if you fail to make sufficient new contribution in the year to cover your HBP repayment, CRA assumes you have permanently withdrawn the shortfall amount and treats it as taxable income.