Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
v_g1973

I did in-kind transfer of securities from cash account to RRSP at a loss. I am aware that the loss cannot be claimed. How do I account for in the book value in RRSP?

1 Reply

I did in-kind transfer of securities from cash account to RRSP at a loss. I am aware that the loss cannot be claimed. How do I account for in the book value in RRSP?

If you sold the securities and then contributed the proceeds into your RRSP you are able to claim the Capital Loss, and a RRSP Contribution. However since you transferred securities that are still fluctuating in price, your financial position is still open and cannot be claimed, however your cost basis should have still been accurately reported by your brokerage.

Say you bought a security at $100, transferred it to your RRSP and has already changed to a price of $95, your Adjusted Cost Basis should still be $100 and your brokerage should be reporting this information either through transaction history, on the financial position itself, or on the new transfer to the RRSP. Regardless, from the perspective of a RRSP contribution, you would be reporting the contribution based on the cost basis that was purchased. So in the above example, even if my security's price is $95, on my tax return it would reflect that I contributed $100 to my RRSP, since that was my cost basis.

For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - RRSPs and Other Plans

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.