Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gval-

I have a question about tuition transfers

Last year I got a refund for my tax return, however, following recommendations, my daughter request a correction in tuition transfers in my favor which was recorded in her notice of reassessment. This year I do not know how to use that transfer to reduce my tax return. Can you guide me?
1 Reply

I have a question about tuition transfers

The tuition transfer was to be done in that same tax year, not a future tax year. As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), if your daughter's current year's tuition amount isn't being used, she can carry forward the amount that she cannot use that year to claim in a future year. To calculate the amount she would be carrying forward, she would have to file an Income Tax and Benefit Return and fill out federal Schedule 11. However, if it is carried forward, that amount can no longer be transferred.
If you want to go back and claim her tuition amount that has not been used, you will have to make an adjustment to your 2021 tax return. This amount should be claimed on line 32400 of your Income Tax and Benefit Return.
If you are using ReFILE to make the adjustment, you can enter this amount in TurboTax by following these instructions:
  1. 🔍Find (top right corner)
  2. Type "Tuition"
  3. Click "Tuition Amount Transfer"
  4. Click "Enter Credit Info" next to your daughter's name
  5. Check the "Transfer my child's tuition and education amounts" box
  6. Enter the information.

For additional information, please see our TurboTax FAQ: Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College

For more help, please contact our telephone support team: Contact Us.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.