Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RC10

I have a ton of tuition credits that I am carrying over. The system shows I owe a small amount of money to the government. How do use my tuition credit to pay this off?

The system has already used a lot of my credits to reduce the amount of tax I need. But for some reason it did not reduce it to zero even though I still have tuition credit to use. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a ton of tuition credits that I am carrying over. The system shows I owe a small amount of money to the government. How do use my tuition credit to pay this off?

Please check the detailed summary. (review tab - bottom line tax summaries > detailed summary)  Some payments are not reduced by tuition.

If your income was over $20,000 and you live in ON, you will likely have OHIP premiums. 

If you were self-employed, you will have CPP payments on self-employed income.

These are just 2 examples of payments that are not reduced by tuition. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Please check the detailed summary. (review tab - bottom line tax summaries > detailed summary)  Some payments are not reduced by tuition.

If your income was over $20,000 and you live in ON, you will likely have OHIP premiums. 

If you were self-employed, you will have CPP payments on self-employed income.

These are just 2 examples of payments that are not reduced by tuition.