Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I took a beauty course and was given a receipt. From what I understand I can claim the expense as education. Can someone tell me where to enter this? Thank you

1 Reply

I took a beauty course and was given a receipt. From what I understand I can claim the expense as education. Can someone tell me where to enter this? Thank you

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you may claim courses that pertain to your profession as an expense. If you are a commission employee:

You can deduct the cost of a training course as an employment expense. The course has to maintain, upgrade, or update your existing skills or qualifications that relate to your employment.

If you cannot deduct the cost of a training course as an employment expense, you can claim it as a tuition amount as long as you meet the conditions described in Pamphlet P105, Students and Income Tax. For more information and additional examples, read Interpretation Bulletin IT-357R2 Archived - Expenses of training.

Note: You cannot deduct the cost of a training course as an employment expense if the course is for personal reasons, the cost is unreasonable, or you receive a lasting benefit from the course. For example, you receive a lasting benefit when you take a course to get a credit towards a degree, diploma, professional qualification, or similar certificate.

To enter this in your tax return, sign into TurboTax online and choose your tax return for the year. Then:

> On the left navigation pane, choose Income, then Employment Expenses

> Here you will be shown a wizard where you must answer questions - If you aren't eligible for these/they don't apply to you, you have the other option that the Canada Revenue Agency chooses which would be to claim them as tuition.

Make sure to his Continue so that your information is saved.

For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - Training Costs

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.