Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jover

If both my employer and I contribute to the RPP , should box 20 contain the total of those two amounts?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If both my employer and I contribute to the RPP , should box 20 contain the total of those two amounts?

Box 20 is what you contribute.  Box 52 is the total of what you contribute added to what the employer contributes.  So if Box 20 is showing $1500, and Box 52 is showing $3000, we know the employer contributed $1500.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Box 20 is what you contribute.  Box 52 is the total of what you contribute added to what the employer contributes.  So if Box 20 is showing $1500, and Box 52 is showing $3000, we know the employer contributed $1500.

jover

In this case, what amount contributes to the RRSP contribution total< $1500 or $3000? It appears to just be the $1500.  If that is the case, does that mean I would still have $1500 to contribute to my RRSP?

The amount in box 20 is what you can include as a deduction on your tax return.  The amount in box 52 is shown on the tax return for information purposes only...it does not factor into any of the calculations on the return.  The amount in box 52 is used towards calculating your RRSP limit for the following year.  So while you might only have contributed $1500 into your RPP, still there was a total of $3000 that went into your pension plan and therefore will reduce your RRSP limit by $3000.