Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I accept the money offered by CWB, do I need to return it?

3 Replies
ShwethaK
Returning Member

Hi @dimaschirinos 
Whether or not you need to return money offered by CWB( Canada Worker's Benefit)  depends on the reason for the money and its terms and conditions. If the CWB made an error or the payment is from a government program, you may be required to return the money if you are ineligible. To clarify the situation and ensure compliance with relevant regulations or policies, it's best to contact the CWB for more information.

CWB is a refundable credit. If the credit is above your net federal tax payable (federal tax less your non-refundable tax credits), you can keep the difference as part of your refund. if you received a CWB payment that was larger than what you’re entitled to, it will be assessed and you’ll need to pay the difference back to the CRA. 

Olivia C
Returning Member

Hi There,

The Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) is a refundable credit aimed at lower-income workers. The credit is refundable, meaning that if the credit is above your net federal tax payable (federal tax less your non-refundable tax credits), you can keep the difference as a refund.

Hope this helps!