Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I have a T4A from work for contributions to a retirement savings plan, do I report that number as an RRSP contribution as well, that can be used as a deduction?

1 Reply

If I have a T4A from work for contributions to a retirement savings plan, do I report that number as an RRSP contribution as well, that can be used as a deduction?

If you are entering a T4A slip you do not enter it as an RRSP contribution or deduction. Please follow the below steps for entering information from your T4A:

Instructions for TurboTax Online

If you have a T4A

1. Select Find from the menu, then enter T4A
  2. Select T4A Pension, Retirement, Annuity from the list of results, and then select Go. The T4A - Summary step appears
  3. Select Enter new T4A. The T4A - Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income step appears
  4. Fill out the form in TurboTax with the information from your slip
  5. Select Done with T4A. The T4A - Summary step appears
  6. Review the information on-screen and follow the instructions below that match your situation:
    • If the information is correct, select Done with T4A Slips
    • If the information isn’t correct, select Edit next to the slip and correct the information. When you return to this step, select Done with T4A Slips
    • If you have more T4A slips to enter, select Enter new T4A. When you return to this step, select Done with T4A Slips

Instructions for TurboTax CD/Download

If you have a T4A

1. Select Find from the menu, then enter T4A
  2. Select T4A Pension, retirement, annuity from the list of results, and then select Go. The Entering your federal T-slips step appears
  3. Select T4A - Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income (including scholarships and bursaries)
  4. Select Continue. The T4A - Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income step appears
  5. Fill out the form in TurboTax with the information from your slip. If you have more T4A slips to claim, select Enter new T4A and fill out the form, repeating this step for each slip
  6. Select Done with T4A. The T4A - Summary step appears
  7. Review the information on-screen and follow the instructions below that match your situation:
    • If the information is correct, select Done with T4A Slips
    • If the information isn’t correct, select Edit next to the slip and correct the information. When you return to this step, select Done with T4A Slips
    • If you have more T4A slips to enter, select Enter new T4A. When you return to this step, select Done with T4ASlips

Note: Some of the fields on your slip may not be in TurboTax. You only need to enter the slip information that TurboTax asks for.

For a complete guide to the T4A tax slip, visit the TurboTax blog.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.