Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samlau2
Returning Member

If my spouse is a Canadian non-resident (lives in the US), am I eligible for the Canada childcare benefit? Do I need to include their US income?

1 Reply

If my spouse is a Canadian non-resident (lives in the US), am I eligible for the Canada childcare benefit? Do I need to include their US income?

Thank you for your question.  As we are not aware of your child's age, we can provide you with the following information on Canada child benefit (CCB). As per CRA: is a tax-free monthly payment for families with children under 18. Its three main components are the basic benefit, the national child benefit, and the child disability benefit, as well as related provincial and territorial programs.

How do you know if you are eligible for the CCTB?

• your child was younger than 18 years old;
  • your child lived with you;
  • you were the child's primary caregiver;
  • you were a resident of Canada; and
  • you (or your spouse or common-law partner) were a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for 18 months or more and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.

How much are you eligible for?

The monthly amount you're eligible for depends on:

• the number of children in the household who are younger than 18
  • their ages
  • your adjusted net family income
  • your province or territory of residence
  • your marital status
  • eligibility for the child disability tax benefit

For more information please visit the CRA link- https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/federal-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-the-canada-revenu... 

Please let us know if you require any further assistance, we would be glad to guide you through.