Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If my wife was reimbursed part of her tuition by her school board, how are we to claim this, and is she still eligible for the "training credit"?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my wife was reimbursed part of her tuition by her school board, how are we to claim this, and is she still eligible for the "training credit"?

Yes, part of the tuition that was reimbursed by her school board should only affect her Tuition Tax credit. 

The Canada training credit limit can be found on your 2020 Notice of Assessment.

(However, if you are able to claim both the Canada Training Credit and the Tuition Tax Credit in the same year, in calculating your tuition tax credit, your eligible tuition and fees paid for the year will be reduced by the Canada training credit you claim in that year. )

Under Find - type Tuition fees, after you are done with your tuition fees, you can claim your CTC.

For more information, please click: Canada Training Credit

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, part of the tuition that was reimbursed by her school board should only affect her Tuition Tax credit. 

The Canada training credit limit can be found on your 2020 Notice of Assessment.

(However, if you are able to claim both the Canada Training Credit and the Tuition Tax Credit in the same year, in calculating your tuition tax credit, your eligible tuition and fees paid for the year will be reduced by the Canada training credit you claim in that year. )

Under Find - type Tuition fees, after you are done with your tuition fees, you can claim your CTC.

For more information, please click: Canada Training Credit

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

If a student’s employer pays or reimburses tuition, the student is not eligible to claim the credit unless the employer includes the tuition amount in the student’s earnings

If this does apply to you then, you are eligible to claim your tuition fees if you paid more than $100 to take a course at a qualifying educational institution. You should have received a tax certificate from them, such as a T2202, which has the tax information you need.

For more information on Tuition Tax Credit please refer to the following TurboTax article

Understanding Tuition Tax Credits

To find out if you qualify for the Canadian Training Credit please follow the guidance in our TurboTax FAQ below.

Thank you for using TurboTax.