Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guings5

Im going over my Total education amount, turbo tax said it raised a red flag. My T2202A tuition fees are correct. I don't know where the extra fees are coming from

Its showing that I have additional Education and Text book fees, but I don't remember adding them in. Im not sure where the number is coming from...Ive done my taxes with Turbo tax for 3 years now and have been filing things the same way. I thought I had been doing things right, but these alarms have me worried that I'm doing something incorrectly.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Im going over my Total education amount, turbo tax said it raised a red flag. My T2202A tuition fees are correct. I don't know where the extra fees are coming from

Think of the warning as a suggestion to double check your entry.  Could CRA ask to see documentation?  They can, for any amount claimed.  If you claimed $100 CRA could ask for documentation.  If they do, just make a copy of your T2202 and send that to them.   That is your documentation and you are covered.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

How much are the extra credits, and according to your T2202 how many part time/full time months education?

Remember you get $465 credit for each full time month, and $140 credit for each part time month.  This is in addition to the fees paid.
guings5

The total of extra credits is $3700. so then what you're saying makes sense because on that form it also states that i have 8 full time months. so that plus my $5600 tuition fee puts me over $9000. Is that a problem though? Turbo Tax has said that anything over $5000 raises a red flag...
I apologize for the over caution, i'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thank you for getting back to me Jeffery

Think of the warning as a suggestion to double check your entry.  Could CRA ask to see documentation?  They can, for any amount claimed.  If you claimed $100 CRA could ask for documentation.  If they do, just make a copy of your T2202 and send that to them.   That is your documentation and you are covered.
guings5

Oh alright, Thank you for your time and consideration Jeffery, it has been very helpful and I feel better about double checking everything.