Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawnart

Income splitting is not working for us. I can't get out of it, keeps showing my income as being 15,000 more than it really is, and I can't delete or change the numbers.

I went back to the interview page (profile) and clicked "No" for income splitting for both myself and my wife. I deleted and reallocated some things like capital gains that it had automatically split between us, and got all the right amounts on my wife's return, but it did not remove the 15000 that it put on my return (instead of splitting it, ie 7500 each), there is no way I can find to delete this extra 15000 from my income summary; I also tried to "skip income splitting" at the review level, but it didn't work either.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Income splitting is not working for us. I can't get out of it, keeps showing my income as being 15,000 more than it really is, and I can't delete or change the numbers.

When splitting eligible pension income this is normal, in that the total of your eligible pension income, $15,000, will be included in your Total income and $7,500 will be included in your spouse's total income.  As you proceed through your return, you will note that the amount that you split with your spouse, $7,500 will be claimed as a deduction from your total income when calculating your Net income, thus removing the amount from your Taxable income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
fuzzy

When splitting eligible pension income this is normal, in that the total of your eligible pension income, $15,000, will be included in your Total income and $7,500 will be included in your spouse's total income.  As you proceed through your return, you will note that the amount that you split with your spouse, $7,500 will be claimed as a deduction from your total income when calculating your Net income, thus removing the amount from your Taxable income.

msewatson

I have had the same problem. I put into the tax return pension income splitting. Now we don't want the 11K on my tax return, but I can't get it off. He is going to claim all of it himself. What do we do??