Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pibbs96

Is the Canada workers benefit retroactive for previous years?

I did not have approval yet for the disability tax credit so i was denied the canada disability workers benefit.  Now i have been approved and get the disability tax credit . Can i go back and claim the wbc and disabilty workers credit for pervious years?
1 Reply

Is the Canada workers benefit retroactive for previous years?

The Canada worker's benefit (CWB) is retroactive for up to 11 months after the end of the tax year. However, the disability component of the CWB is only available to individuals who are eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC) at the beginning of the year.

If you were not eligible for the DTC in previous years, you would not have been eligible for the disability component of the CWB for those years. Therefore, you would not be able to go back and claim the disability component of the CWB for previous years if you were not eligible for the DTC during those years.

However, if you are now eligible for the DTC, you may be able to claim the disability component of the CWB for the current year and any future years in which you are eligible. 

For more information, please see two  TurboTax Help FAQs below. 

Canada Workers Benefit?

How to Change Your Tax Return After You’ve Filed

For more information please visit Canada Revenue Agency Website  Canada workers benefit – Overview

It is recommended that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency for more information on your specific situation. Contact 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!