Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My daughter is in university and did not work so does not need to do a tax return herself... how can I claim her tuition expenses without importing her tax form

1 Reply

My daughter is in university and did not work so does not need to do a tax return herself... how can I claim her tuition expenses without importing her tax form

Your child must first claim the tuition amount on their own tax return. If there is any amount left over after your child has claimed the tuition amount, they have two choices: transfer it or carry it forwardThey should receive the T2202 tax slip from their college or university. To claim the tax credit, they must file their income taxes and complete both the federal and provincial Schedule 11 forms. Any remaining credit calculated on Schedule 11 by a student can be transferred to you.  The maximum amount they are allowed to transfer is $5,000 less the amount they needed to use to reduce their own tax owing.

Claiming the leftover tuition amount

• Once your child has completed Schedule 11, they can transfer the leftover amount.
  • Parents and grandparents can claim the leftover amount on Line 32400 of their tax return.
  • If your child has a spouse or common-law partner, the spouse will claim the available credit on Schedule 2 and report it on Line 32600 of their tax return. (TurboTax recommends you prepare your spousal tax returns simultaneously so these credits will transfer automatically for you).

Here is guidance on how to enter tuition amounts from a child using Turbo Tax

Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax.