Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband is in a nursing home, do I change his address to that and if his pension and oas covers most of it can I claim the nursing home expense

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is in a nursing home, do I change his address to that and if his pension and oas covers most of it can I claim the nursing home expense

You will claim that you are involuntarily separated (that is, you are living apart but not due to a breakdown of the relationship).  That way you will be able to claim the rent or property tax for your home, and your husband will be able to claim the rent paid for the nursing home, towards each of your Trillium benefits.  As to the medical, presuming that your husband has the Disability Tax Credit on file with CRA, then yes, you can elect to claim the nursing home cost as part of the medical expense, and yes you can claim those on your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will claim that you are involuntarily separated (that is, you are living apart but not due to a breakdown of the relationship).  That way you will be able to claim the rent or property tax for your home, and your husband will be able to claim the rent paid for the nursing home, towards each of your Trillium benefits.  As to the medical, presuming that your husband has the Disability Tax Credit on file with CRA, then yes, you can elect to claim the nursing home cost as part of the medical expense, and yes you can claim those on your tax return.