Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caitS

My husband travelled to Europe for a professional development course. Is he able to claim these expenses and where do we do it in Turbotax?

This course was to upgrade/maintain his skills and was not required by his employer nor did it result in an increase in his salary (a capital gain). He had tuition, travel, and lodging fees. He does occasionally work as a self-employed actor although he had no income from that in 2017 and this course was related to both acting and his salaried career.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband travelled to Europe for a professional development course. Is he able to claim these expenses and where do we do it in Turbotax?

If the expense was not a Condition of Employment it will not be allowed as Employment Expenses. If the cost of travel and program can reasonably be related to ongoing opportunities to generate (expectation of profit) self-employment income you could consider them on a T2125 schedule.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the expense was not a Condition of Employment it will not be allowed as Employment Expenses. If the cost of travel and program can reasonably be related to ongoing opportunities to generate (expectation of profit) self-employment income you could consider them on a T2125 schedule.