Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife did not have any employment income only a few months EI and cashed in RRSP. We still had child care expenses of $4400, can I claim that amount to reduce my tax.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

My wife did not have any employment income only a few months EI and cashed in RRSP. We still had child care expenses of $4400, can I claim that amount to reduce my tax.

Generally, child care expenses can only be deducted by the spouse with the lower income. However, the higher income spouse can claim child care expenses if the lower income spouse has been certified in writing by a medical doctor to be incapable of caring for a child or the lower income spouse is a student in attendance at a designated educational institution or secondary school and enrolled in a full-time or part-time educational  program.  Unless these exceptions apply to you, you will not be able to claim any child care expenses.  Please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/ncmtx/fls/s1/f3/s1-f3-c1-eng.html#N1047E

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

Generally, child care expenses can only be deducted by the spouse with the lower income. However, the higher income spouse can claim child care expenses if the lower income spouse has been certified in writing by a medical doctor to be incapable of caring for a child or the lower income spouse is a student in attendance at a designated educational institution or secondary school and enrolled in a full-time or part-time educational  program.  Unless these exceptions apply to you, you will not be able to claim any child care expenses.  Please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/ncmtx/fls/s1/f3/s1-f3-c1-eng.html#N1047E