Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdW

Netfile fails when a self-employed taxpayer 65-70 who does not collect CPP elects to stop contributing to CPP. Sch8 Part 1 says you can elect to stop. How to fix?

Schedule 8 Part 1 says "However, if you were at least 65 years of age, but under 70 years of age, you can elect to stop paying CPP contributions" Turbotax Netfile fails to allow this. CRA says you must be collecting CPP, but this is not true according the Schedule 8. TurboTax Netfile review requires me to fill out a CPT30 form which is irrelevant to self-employed people.
8 Replies

Netfile fails when a self-employed taxpayer 65-70 who does not collect CPP elects to stop contributing to CPP. Sch8 Part 1 says you can elect to stop. How to fix?

On your T4A(P) you can elect directly there as shown in the screenshot below:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

EdW

You mention the T4A(P). That's the whole point here. There is NO T4A(P) because I have deferred collecting CPP benefits until later. Yet Schedule 8 clearly says in Part 1 you can "However, if you were at least 65 years of age, but under 70 years of age, you can elect to stop paying CPP contributions". TurboTax produces and ERROR in the Review stage and will not allow me to elect stopping to pay CPP premiums, unless I filled out a CPT30 which I can't because my income is ALL self-employed. 

EdW

Also in the review, TurboTax review states "

You have entered an election date to stop contributing to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or a revocation date to re-start contributions. To be eligible for an election to stop or start contributing to CPP on self-employment income, you must be 65 to 69 years of age in the tax year, have self-employment income, and receive CPP or QPP retirement benefits." While Schule 8 states this, it ALSO states that everyone between 65 and 70 can elect not to pay CPP premiums. TurboTax does not allow for this. 

Also in your reply to "Oldie" you pasted in, you state that I have to check "yes" to electing to stop contributing in a year prior to 2023, which is NOT true, so I can't do that. 

When you are under "Warnings" and see You are 60 years old or older and did not enter Canada Pension Plan or Québec Pension Plan income. Confirm if this is correct. The... Click on Review & Applies to me. It will bring you to T4A(P) none entered- but you still need to answer the questions.

EdW

As I stated, I DO want to stop paying CPP premiums (your answer indicated to say NO to that - I'm no sure why you said that???). If I say YES I do want to stop contributing to CPP, TurboTax says the error still exists and will not let me file or refile my return. 

If you filled it out this way and still having an issue to NetFile please contact our phone support team.

EdW

This solution does not work. It's been a problem for TurboTax for years from my research into this issue. Anyone can test this when they do a Review of their tax return. You cannot overcome this and Netfile will definitely fail. As a result, I had to file a manual T1 Update with a new manual Schedule 8 after filing. 

We appreciate your feedback and will bring this to our development team.