Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I went to trade school, can I claim the amount paid?

1 Reply

I went to trade school, can I claim the amount paid?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Yes, generally, a course taken in 2020 at an institution in Canada will qualify for a tuition tax credit provided conditions are met.

If you enrolled in post-secondary level courses at a Designated Educational Institution in Canada, you can claim the tuition credit. 

As per CRA, generally, a course taken in 2020 at an institution in Canada will qualify for a tuition tax credit if it was either:

• taken at a post-secondary education institution
  • for individuals, 16 years of age or older at the end of the year, who are developing or improving skills in an occupation and the educational institution has been certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada

if you are 16 years of age or older and you take these courses at a post-secondary education institution which are listed in Designated Educational Institution, you can claim the tuition tax credit.

You can visit the website of Understanding Tuition Tax Credits and https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...   to get more information.