Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juliam1

As a new Ontario resident, do I lose all of the provincial carryover tuition, education, and textbook credits that I accumulated while I was an Alberta resident?

Were you able to figure this out? I'm in a similar situation. I completed my schooling in ontario, moved to alberta for less than a year to work, but have since moved back to ontario and am working here. Cannot claim it, and the person I spoke with from the CRA said I can file a notice of objection, but that might take 8-12 months. Anybody have any advice or solutions?

chezchek

As a new Ontario resident, do I lose all of the provincial carryover tuition, education, and textbook credits that I accumulated while I was an Alberta resident?

Hi Jennifer,

I have a similar follow up question. I understand that given I moved to Ontario from Alberta in 2020, I cannot claim carry-forward tuition credits, and turbotax rightly gave me a warning about this.  However, I zeroed out my provincial carry forward taxes and it is still giving me the same warning. Why am I still getting a warning about  this? 

I am still claiming my federal carry forward tuition credits, but according to my understanding, I should still be allowed to do this correct?

Im concerned I am still doing something incorrect with this warning still appearing , even though I believe I have done everything I can think to fix this.

Thanks