Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When my son was doing his 2021 tax return, he noticed that all of his Ontario tuition that has been carried forwarded has been changed to zero. Make sense to anyone?

He thought that he cannot claim any tuition that was carried forwarded provincially.   So why is the balance being made zero.  He is not getting any refund for the amount.  He had $29000 that was being carried forward into 2021.
2 Replies

When my son was doing his 2021 tax return, he noticed that all of his Ontario tuition that has been carried forwarded has been changed to zero. Make sense to anyone?

Unused Tuition is tracked by CRA and amounts are reported on your Notice of Assessment.
Amounts may be seen in My Account and are downloadable using AutoFill (AFR).

If you have unused Tuition, you can enter amounts under the Tuition section of 'Deductions.
Amounts of unused credit are applied to reduce tax payable automatically. There is no option to voluntarily postpone the use of unused amounts. CRA knows your unused amount of tuition and they will apply for credit even if you don't enter any amounts of carrying forward yourself on your current return.
More about  Transfer or carry forward  tuition amount    you will find in Canada Revenue Agency website (CRA). 
If they need to verify the tuition carried forward amount you might want to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

That was helpful.   Thanks