Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave181

Received a Lump Sum Pension on T4A showing amount on line 018, Income Tax Deducted on line 022. Does this still have to be reported as income and be taxed a second time?

I thought if the Pension Plan administrator already deducted the Income Tax of 30% because of amount. That would be all. Now I would have to pay again on the amount received after that tax as part of income for year ? Seems too much, is this correct?
1 Reply

Received a Lump Sum Pension on T4A showing amount on line 018, Income Tax Deducted on line 022. Does this still have to be reported as income and be taxed a second time?

To understand how Lump-Sum Payments work I recommend you read this excellent article from TurboTax: Lump-Sum Payments.

In Summary, all of these lump-sum payments are taxable, and your employer, plan administrator or whoever drafts the cheque should withhold income tax and remit it to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)However, the amount your employer withholds may not be your final tax rate. That will be determined when you file your income tax return and report all of your income and deductions. When you file this amount will be verified, but you are not be taxed twice. If you anticipate owing more tax than will be withheld using the recommended rates, you can notify your employer and ask him to adjust how much tax he withholds accordingly.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.