Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bzbz123

My tuition fees were $2,274. My federal credit is also $2,274. However, my provincial credit is $4,917.66. There are no carry forward amounts. Why is it so high?

5 Replies

My tuition fees were $2,274. My federal credit is also $2,274. However, my provincial credit is $4,917.66. There are no carry forward amounts. Why is it so high?

This depends on your province of residence, some provinces kept the education and textbook amount - if you are in one of these provinces, these additional amounts will be added to your provincial tuition. 

shmools

Thank you for your answer.  I'm in Ontario, and they may have kept the education and textbook amount until September.  The problem that I'm having, is that I couldn't get Turbotax to show anything at all for the Provincial credit.  TurboTaxSusan suggested that the column on the right (which refers to breaking up the months) had to be used in order to get the Provincial credit to show, which was an excellent suggestion.  However, the current problem is that the same column seems to be needed to make the province work, and also relates to the date.  I don't know what to do.  The student was at two schools for 7 full time months, but only 1 month was before September.  It seems to be a TurboTax software problem where a column marked for one function has to (also?) be used for another.

Can you clarify, the one month that you have entered before September - what month, year is that?
shmools

The school wrote July to August, although over in the months column they only wrote "1".

You'll need to claim the amount that is stated in the T2202A. If you don't agree with the amounts on the slip, ie. July-Aug should be 2 months and not 1, then please contact the school.