Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where and how do I enter an RRSP contribution slip that identified I've transferred funds from an RPP?

3 Replies

Where and how do I enter an RRSP contribution slip that identified I've transferred funds from an RPP?

To enter an RRSP contribution slip that shows that you have transferred funds from RPP follow the steps given below: -

• First of all, click on the "RRSPs" section on the left side of your screen
  • Again find "Transfers to RRSPs" and click on it
  • On the next page, enter the amount of the transfer beside this question "ONLY enter the RRSP/PRPP contribution you are designating as a transfer of eligible income if the amount is not included above"
  • Click on "Continue" to save all details entered.

For more information about transfers to RRSPs visit this page of the Canada Revenue Agency: -  Transferring from RPP, RRIF, DPSP to RRSPs 

Here is one article from TurboTax about this transfer: - T2151 Form Direct Transfer of a Single Amount

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

You will need to fill out Form T2151. This form is simple to get from the CRA website or from your tax software. However, it is an unusual form to fill out, as you do not send it directly to the Canada Revenue Agency.

• To start, you will need all documentation on both accounts that was provided by your past and current employer.
  • You will need the number and name of the account you are withdrawing from and adding to. You will need the exact amount you are transferring unless you are transferring all of the funds in the account.
  • The form must be given to your pension plan administrator. All four pages are identical and must be sent, which means you need to fill out all four.
  • The financial institution that holds your RRSP will receive a copy of this form from the transferring institution, so you do not need to worry about alerting them unless they otherwise require you to.
  • Then, once you make the physical transfer of your money from one account to the other, the process is complete. You should check with the receiving financial institution to be sure they received the money.

For more information please refer to the following TurboTax article:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

Afternoon,   I followed the steps provided above however I got an error during the review section.  

The amount you designate for transfer to an RRSP/PRPP cannot be greater than the eligible income reported for transfer. 

Note: this transfer is from an RPP to an RRSP  , tax receipt  contains the following wording .  "pursuant to section 60L(V) "