Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggc2

Where do I claim a deduction from a transfer from my daughters tuition ?

She is not a dependent but we paid some of her university tuition.
1 Reply

Where do I claim a deduction from a transfer from my daughters tuition ?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Your child can transfer up to $5,000 of the tax credit, less the amount used to reduce tax owing. The tuition amount can be transferred to their parent, grandparent or spouse/common-law partner.
Claiming the leftover tuition amount:
  • Once your child has completed Schedule 11 and transfers the leftover amount.
  • Select Find from the TurboTax menu
  • Enter claims for dependants and select Go
  • When prompted to review or claim any of these credits, choose Yes, then select Continue
  • Select Enter Credit Info next to the name of the defendant who's transferring unused tuition amounts to you
  • Select Transfer my Child's Tuition and Education Amounts, then select Continue
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to select Tuition Transfer, enter the amount(s) of the transfer(s), then select Continue

*It is important to note that if one spouse is eligible to claim a spouse or common-law partner amount on line 30300 for the student, parents and grandparents are not eligible to receive a tuition transfer; in this case, it must be transferred to the spouse (or carried forward).

For more information, please see our TurboTax article: Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.