Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimbo3277

Where do I enter Death Benefit from my Mothers estate?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

As per this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page - Line 11400 – CPP or QPP death benefit (box 18):

Do not report this amount if you are filing a return for a deceased person.

If you received this amount and you are a beneficiary of the deceased person’s estate, report it on line 13000 of your return unless a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return is being filed for the estate.

If you are the one who received this amount, this is how you can enter it in TurboTax Online:

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select “Find” (magnifying glass).

2. In the Find window, type in “t4a(p)”, select “T4A(P) – Canada Pension Plan Benefits” from the list, and click “Go”.

4. Click “Enter New T4A(P) for [Your Name]” to add a new T4A(P) slip.

Any amount you enter in Box 18 (Death Benefit) will automatically be put on line 13000 of your return.

This TurboTax FAQ has more information regarding preparing returns for the deceased: Can I prepare a return with TurboTax for someone who has died?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

As per this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page - Line 11400 – CPP or QPP death benefit (box 18):

Do not report this amount if you are filing a return for a deceased person.

If you received this amount and you are a beneficiary of the deceased person’s estate, report it on line 13000 of your return unless a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return is being filed for the estate.

If you are the one who received this amount, this is how you can enter it in TurboTax Online:

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select “Find” (magnifying glass).

2. In the Find window, type in “t4a(p)”, select “T4A(P) – Canada Pension Plan Benefits” from the list, and click “Go”.

4. Click “Enter New T4A(P) for [Your Name]” to add a new T4A(P) slip.

Any amount you enter in Box 18 (Death Benefit) will automatically be put on line 13000 of your return.

This TurboTax FAQ has more information regarding preparing returns for the deceased: Can I prepare a return with TurboTax for someone who has died?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

jimbo3277

Thanks for the input. It resolved my question.

Sorry for your loss. 

You can enter the death benefit from your T4A Pension, Retirement, Annuity slip, box 106 by following the steps below.

1. On the left-hand side menu of your tax return click the dropdown tab for Income
  2. Click the T-Slips dropdown tab
  3. Scroll down and select T4A Pension, Retirement, Annuity
  4. Here you will click on Enter New T4A
  5. On this page scroll down and you will find box 106 to enter the death benefit
  6. You will now scroll down to click on Done with T4A to save your entry.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax