Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msavage03

Why does it say my tuition amount exceeds 5000 when I wasn't a student this year?

While reviewing my tax return, I got an Audit Risk Alert warning, stating my tax return contains the following: Tuition amount exceeding $5000. However, I wasn't a student in 2016 so I haven't claimed tuition. It seems that it may be unclaimed tuition from previous years. I'm a little confused as to what it means.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does it say my tuition amount exceeds 5000 when I wasn't a student this year?

Hi,

It is referring to the tuition carried-forward from a prior year, which is being claimed in excess of $5,000.  Check the detailed tax summary to see the amount being claimed for tuition. If the tuition carry forward amount is correctly input, there should be no problems.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi,

It is referring to the tuition carried-forward from a prior year, which is being claimed in excess of $5,000.  Check the detailed tax summary to see the amount being claimed for tuition. If the tuition carry forward amount is correctly input, there should be no problems.