Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irbayne

Why does the total tax summary page have a different amount for my pension than my T4A, and why is it more after splitting?

Tax summary page shows two amount for me and spouse. Spouse amount is the max I can transfer. The amount for me is not the same as my T4A. It is not reduced by the amount split. In fact it is more. Where did this number come from?

1 Reply

Why does the total tax summary page have a different amount for my pension than my T4A, and why is it more after splitting?

When you split pension, the transferor (the person who is giving a portion of the pension to the spouse) will have this as a deduction at line 210 (so total income will not be affected, but net income will show the deduction). The person who receives the pension, will have this amount on line 116 (so his/her total income will include this amount).

If you sum up both of your total incomes, yes, the amount will be more than you actually received in total, but your net incomes as a total will reflect the exact amount you received.

I hope this answers your question.