Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my RIF being posted to line 130 instead of line 115. With it being put on line 130 I can't enter a pension income splitting amt

I am trying to enter an amount in the pension income splitting optimizer (50% of the RIF amount) but is isn't allowing me to enter any amount as it references to line 115 to determine the maximum pension amount that can be split.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Why is my RIF being posted to line 130 instead of line 115. With it being put on line 130 I can't enter a pension income splitting amt

If you are under age 65 at the end of the year, the RRIF payments you are receiving are properly reported on line 130 as other income and are not eligible for either pension splitting or the pension income amount.  If you are 65 or older at the end of the year, then the RRIF payments are reported on line 115 as pension income and are eligible for pension splitting as well as the pension income amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/pnsn-splt/qlfy-eng.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

If you are under age 65 at the end of the year, the RRIF payments you are receiving are properly reported on line 130 as other income and are not eligible for either pension splitting or the pension income amount.  If you are 65 or older at the end of the year, then the RRIF payments are reported on line 115 as pension income and are eligible for pension splitting as well as the pension income amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/pnsn-splt/qlfy-eng.html