Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mia7580

2023 Head of Household Federal vs State

My husband is a nonresident alien. He came to visit me during the period May - Sep.2023. I was recommended to file with Head of Household by Turbotax. But at the state review (California), I was told to change the federal filing status to either "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately", as a result I was not able to do the final Transmission. How to fix this?  Thanks!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

your husband can never be a dependent. with no dependents you can not file as head of household

see this IRS guide

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/international-taxpayers-filing-status-if-married-to-a-nonresident-alien... 

In order to qualify for head of household status, you must have paid more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up your home for the year. In addition, a qualifying person (first reason HOH can't be used is as stated your husband is not a qualifying person) must have lived in your home for more than 1/2 the year (second reason  HOH can't be used is that your husband was only present at most for 5 months).

your choices are married filing separately or married filing jointly.

joint requires you to include his income for the entire year in the return. you would also need to get a TIN for him if he doesn't already have one. 

Mia7580

Thanks Mike9241. I should have provided more information. I have two children (full time students under 24 yr old) living with me. They are residents and qualified depends. I paid >50% household expenses. Your reply reminded me to check 2023 IRS Publication 501 again. Maybe for my case,  "Considered Unmarried" is more fit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies