Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form TC-40w(1) Payer ID Error in Utah

I am having trouble with my state taxes filing (Utah). I keep getting this error "Form TC-40W(1) need a 14 character payer ID. Have a done all the advice in other discussions on here: to edit my w-2 & 1099-r, I have deleted them and typed them in again, I delete the whole state taxes and did those over again too with no success, I keep getting this message. any other tips for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

When the error pops up in "Smart Check" does it provide a box for you to enter the 14-digit ID? (not inside the form but on top of the form box).  The 14-digit code is found on your W2 in box 15 and should end in "WTH".  Put that in the box when that error pops. 

If you have a 1099-R a 14 digit code could also be on that form and again will end in "WTH" so you can find it. 

The other thing to try is to contact your employer or custodian for a 1099R to check the accuracy of the code on your W2 or 1099R. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same problem however no exterior edit box appears to fix the problem. Is it a glitch?

I figured this out Finally.  Your Federal return will e-file perfectly, Its the State Return because either a W-2 or a 1099 series does not have all 14 digits and needs the WTH (What The Hell) input after.

Have Turbo Tax Print just you State Return and examine the TC-40W (W=Withholding).  This form shows you all the W2 or 1099 Series that you had state withholdings taken out.

One of those do not have the magic* so update it and try it again.

Mine was a 1099-G (Unemployment Benefits) I withheld state and federal and paid back.  In the Turbo Tax Overview that section read .00. So I kept missing it and thought it was my 1099-R (Annuity Benefit). 

I hope this helps someone like me this year or even the next 🙂 

Never-mind Issue resolved see previous.

I am having the exact same issue now. I filed my federal with no problems, however now I am trying to get this one accomplished. My wife owns her own business and she is the only employee so we are doing the TurboTax Self-employed edition and have followed all boxes. Any help would be great!

There is no input box provided for me to "fix" the field it says need fixed. It says that the Payer ID must be 14 characters long, but the form itself doesn't have that requirement for the payer ID. The payer id is only a 9 digit number and it matches my w2 exactly. The 14 characters requirement is only for the second field, and thats also correct. This is very frustrating because it looks 100% correct to me. And my other state return for MA had no issues, neither did the federal. Wtf is wrong here??

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 10.33.59 PM.png

The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “WTH.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901WTH. If you have UT in the ID please remove.

bbhoff

Removing the "UT" from the "Employer's state ID number" field worked for me. Thanks for the help.

I definitely wish I could get this to work. Mine had the UT at the beginning of the number so I took it out. That didn't fix the problem. I actually deleted my state taxes and started them over - but it didn't fix the issue. Has anyone else had issues with this year being particularly glitchy? I have had to delete the same forms (previous self employment forms) more than three times. They keep popping back up. Overall, not super happy with turbotax this year. And I've used it for years without issue. :(

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Try this - -  Change the WTH to lower case (wth).  Just make sure you put in the numbers first and then the letters without a hyphen.      Example:   12345678901wth

@whitlarson

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Phone: (801) 297-2200

Call the Utah State Tax Commission - Hit 0 to chat with an operator then 4 on the second prompt to 'track refund or more options'. From there it took 10 minutes to connect with a rep. I explained the issue then they asked for the employer's EIN. Then the Rep asked for the State ID I had. Quickly pointed out my employer messed up and missed 2 digits at the beginning. 

He gave me the correct. sequence over the phone & I finished filing my taxes right after. 

Im getting the same error and have not been able to figure it out.

I was able to redo and type in my W-2 manually and changed the WTH to lower case on everyone of them and it worked. Hope you're all able to figure it out.

greatadam

This also worked for me. All 3 of my W-2s looked good and I got this error. Edited them to all have lower case wth instead of WTH. Deleted state return and had turbotax make it again and it worked like charm! What a stupid issue...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies