Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I apply my state refund to next year?

I have a refund due from NYS and I want to apply it to next year's return. I cannot find the place to enter this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Search for estimated tax payments with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page. 
  3. Click on the Jump to estimated tax payments link at the top of the search results.
  4. Click on Start next to 2021 refund applied to 2022 state taxes.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions. 
MayaD
Expert Alumni

To apply your NY refund to next year:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Select State Taxes. 
  3. Revisit NY return, continue until you get to the screen Additional Tax Situation
  4. Scroll down to Prepare Estimated Tax vouchers FOR 2022 (IT-2105
  5. On the next screen answer Yes tp apply your refund to next year

On the New York resident tax return, Form IT-201, the amount of your refund that you want to apply to next year is on line 79.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I read your response for NY satate taxes. It does not seem to work for Virginia taxes.

Thanks.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please follow the instructions below to apply all or part of your Virginia refund to your 2022 taxes:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to Virginia.
  4. Continue through the return until you see the screen, Your 2021 Virginia taxes are ready for us to check
  5. Click Edit next to Other Situations.
  6. Click Start or Revisit next to Make Estimated Tax Payments for Next Year
  7. Answer yes to the question Do you want to start the Virginia estimated taxes section now?
  8. On the screen Choose Your Payment Option, choose 100% of your actual 2021 tax.
  9. On the screen Apply Overpayment?, select the amount you want to apply to next year.
  10. Continue through your return.

@scapoor2

guymadison
Returning Member

I do not see any option for applying Wisconsin 2021 overpayment to my 2022 estimated taxes. This has changed 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is well hidden in the WI state program under estimated taxes. Follow these steps:

Go to WI

Continue to Other Tax Situations

Scroll down to Other Forms section

Select Estimated Taxes for next year, start/ edit

Do you want to pay estimated taxes, YES

No

Continue, continue, continue

yes

continue

Select overpayment option 

continue

guymadison
Returning Member

Amy

Here’s what I think is happening:
I completed my taxes. I paid TurboTax. I selected filing by mail meaning I will print off the taxes and submit them on April 18.
Meanwhile I notice that there is one tiny year written wrong. I had written 2022 when it should have been 2021. 
But to fix this my only option was AMEND my return. Ok. I amended it. Fixed the typo but now I had additional pages referring to my amended return. I tossed those but keep the page with the correct year. 

But. Then I noticed that I was not able to apply my Wisconsin tax overpayment from 2021 to my estimated taxes for 2022. So I go back to AMEND again and following your advice I see that there is no option for overpay of state taxes BUT because I am in AMEND there also is showing no income tax due and no state tax due - could that be the reason why there is no option to apply an overpay? It is really a problem with TurboTax to fix something after paying when I haven’t filed yet and just need small corrections. I know years ago (4 maybe) the heavy handed AMEND was an option. What do you think? I wish I could just fix my return without officially amending it. But that’s not possible is it?
Jeff
ericgyeh
Returning Member

Tried this and it totally didn't work.  There was never a section called Additional Tax Situation

Strange that it's so much harder than Federal.

(Turbotax 2021 Home and Business, New York)

@ericgyeh wrote:

Tried this and it totally didn't work.  There was never a section called Additional Tax Situation

Strange that it's so much harder than Federal.

(Turbotax 2021 Home and Business, New York)

Continue past the screen Let's Review Your New York Numbers and there will be the screen Additional Tax Situations

New York Add Tax Sit.JPG

ericgyeh
Returning Member

Thanks for the response.

I can't check this now since I already filed yesterday (the deadline), but I am pretty sure it wasn't there.  I clicked through the entire NY section again (based on this post) and did not see this.  Perhaps because I had already reviewed once?  IMO, this should be on the payment screen.  Instead of only giving options for direct deposit or check by mail, why not give us the option to apply to next year there?

I will revisit this discussion in 2023, I guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't receive the refund and had it applied to next year's 2022 estimated tax payment, will it still be added as income as a tax refund for 2021?  I never received the refund?

Thanks,

L.C.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You may not have physically received the state refund but you received the benefit of the refund.  It is being used to reduce taxes owed the following year.  For example, it is the same as if you received the refund in your hand but chose to pay future taxes with it instead of depositing and using for something else.

State Income Tax refunds may be taxable income for federal purposes for individuals who itemized their deductions on their federal tax return in the previous year.

@Anonymous

Thank you for these instructions, this worked for a RI return!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies