Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in DC, work in CA. On my W2, in box 15, it states that I have paid CA taxes. Should I also have to pay DC taxes?

I was directed to submit DC taxes via TurboTax & now I have to pay $2,201, when I have $0 in DC state wages.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I live in DC, work in CA. On my W2, in box 15, it states that I have paid CA taxes. Should I also have to pay DC taxes?

Are you physically in California or DC? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, should have been more specific. I work remote so I am working out of DC (where I live) & the company is based out of CA.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You do need to file a resident tax return in the District of Columbia.  However, when you file your nonresident return for California, you will need to make sure you indicate that all of wages were earned in the District of Columbia (DC). 

Since you never worked within California, none of your wages are subject to California income taxes.  Therefore, in the California interview screens, be sure to mark the wages as zero when asked for the amount of wages that are from California sources.  This will allow you to get a refund for all of the taxes withheld in California.  

You will also need to let your employer know that your wages need to be reported as being allocated to DC on your state wages going forward.  

[Edited 4/17/2024|12:24PM PST]

@Ljwatson123 

@ThomasM125 wow - did not realize this. Thank you so much for clarifying!!

So what I'm hearing is that I need to amend my CA state tax return. Because my W2 stated that I paid CA state income tax, then will I get a higher refund from CA?

Thanks again. I will also reach out to my employer

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file an amended return and will get those withholdings refunded.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies