Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will North Carolina start accepting e-file tax returns?

TurboTax emailed me to say all the N.C. forms were now ready but every time I try to file, TurboTax says all the forms are not ready yet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

The North Carolina Individual Income Tax Return Form D-400 is not yet available for e-filing.  It is estimated to be available on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for North Carolina state forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_nc_online_individual.html

If you want to e-file your federal tax return now then change how you file the NC state return.  This assumes that all of the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return are available for e-filing.

If using the TurboTax online editions click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  On Step 3 of the File section click on Start or Revisit.  Select the button File by Mail.  Then change the filing status of the state return.

After the federal return is e-filed and accepted by the IRS you can e-file the state return when it is available for e-filing.  Just use the same procedure and change the state return back to e-filing.

View solution in original post

Thank you! Feb. 24 it is.

More recent posts say date now back to 2/28/22.

24 Feb is the first day to E-file

NC says they will not start processing anything until the 28th....

Probably archived by TTX until then. .....but NC may grab some before the 28th...they just won't do anything with them....perhaps a few may be slowly run thru early as they want to see what happens on test cases.  IF major processing problems occur, they'll stop everything to try to fix their computers (or tax software companies submissions issues too).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JSH1056

Well, it's March 1 and still no update from TurboTax that will correct the NC e-file rejection.

@JSH1056   IF you had an NC rejection already.....go back thru the NC interview, go to the Charitable Contribution Carryovers on the NC income page (to zero them out) , and check the box to confirm that the zero's are correct  (unless you are one of the few folks who donated HUGE amounts to charity in 2020)

....then try re-e-filing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JSH1056

Thanks!  That worked!   Much appreciate the advice....😀

Got the TT NC update on 2/25/22, filed 2/28/22, and got my TT acceptance notice today, 3/02/22.

Did not read these threads carefully enough, so when TT copied my (modest) 2020 charitable contributions into the carry-over form, and asked me to verify if this was correct, I erroneously said "yes" instead of zero-ing out the number.  Realized my mistake just after I e-filed.  But it went through OK, probably because standard deduction was maintained, and it didn't make any difference in my return amounts anyway.

It looks like TT is still incorrectly replicating the number, but the new fix is simply to highlight the (wrong) number and ask "Are you sure this is the correct number?  Some fix.

@DaveinCharlotte1 

Yes, for those with a Std Ded in NC taxes, it made no difference.

BUT for others using Itemized NC deductions, the "fix" is kludgey.

1) for those who have a newly-created NC formset after 24 Feb, the numbers should be OK.

2) For those who had already started an NC formset prior to the 24 Feb update, apparently the NC "Fix" could not erase the improper amounts already transferred.....only a) deleting the entire NC formset and recreating would "fix" it with the proper amounts carried...., or b) self-zeroing those values would "fix" it. 

Definitely far from ideal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies