Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vermont form HI-144 error

Turbo Tax is calculating line p on form HI-144 incorrectly.  It is including a social security and medicare tax exclusion amount for the amount in box one of a third party sick pay form W-2 for my spouse. There is no social security and medicare withheld from this pay. The net effect is an understatement of our income for the form HS-122.  I can not file our VT taxes until the correction is made.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I can adjust this value for Social Security in the Income Adjustments Section. Go through the full Property Tax Claim interview to get to the screen. It will ask you to report the Social Security and Medicare Tax Withheld on Wages. There will be an amount pre-populated that can be changed.

Please see this resource for deadline updates for the most current information:
The Tax Deadline Delayed: What to know about Coronavirus COVID-19 and your Taxes and State Tax Updat...

Thank you for the assistance.

dmammen
Returning Member

I can't figure out how to initiate a post on this website so I am replying on this thread.  There is another error on VT HI-144 on line v.  For 2020, the date should be "born after January 1, 1956" for re-adding the interest and dividends into income, NOT "born after January 1, 1955."  This doubling of interest and dividend income for purposes of calculating property tax assistance only applies to people who are under 65 years old at the end of the year.  TurboTax, please check this out and fix it.  This error will impact everyone in Vermont who turned 65 in 2020 and is applying for property tax assistance -- a lot of people -- and it will reduce those people's property tax assistance for next year.  This is a big deal!!

Thank you, [PII removed]

You can edit some of the entries in the Vermont taxes if you go to "view", then "forms".  I edited an entry on form IN-112 this way.  Turbo Tax was entering an amount in that line which was not any of the bond/notes listed on the form. 

Turbo Tax also miscalculated the social security and medicare tax withheld on schedule HI-144.   It was incorrectly calculating social security and medicare tax on disability income received.  I corrected it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies