Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emwagner
Returning Member

2020 taxes. Primary residence. RV

Good evening all,

I recently went into a mortgage when I purchased land in Arizona, USA. There is currently no home being built on this land for a primary residence. I know I am unable to deduct interest payments on the land mortgage, but I can deduct interest paid once construction begins; however, my question is this...

I purchased an RV from a third party in Iowa and I brought this RV to Arizona.  It has sleeping, cooking and bathroom facilities in this 30ft RV. I paid cash for the RV and therefore, own it outright. 

I am living in this RV that is located on the land in Arizona that I am paying a mortgage on.

Can I include the RV on my 2020 tax return as a "primary residence" until construction commences on the house I intend to build in the future?

I believe, if I am not mistaken, that once I move into the house I plan to build in the future, the house would become the "primary residence " and then the RV would become a "secondary residence ".

If I am able to claim my RV as a "primary residence ", how would I accomplish this in the TurboTax mobile application or TurboTax online?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2020 taxes. Primary residence. RV

There is nowhere on a federal tax return to call a house or --in your case-- an RV  ---   a "primary residence."  You are not asked about your primary residence.   You will be asked in My Info what state you lived in----but you will not be asked if you lived in a house, an apartment, a condo, or an RV.     What are you hoping to accomplish?  You already know that you are not paying mortgage interest on the RV, so there is no deduction for mortgage interest for it.  So you do not have anything to enter under Your Home for a mortgage.

Is this really a question about whether you need to pay state income tax in Iowa and/or Arizona?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies