Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased original paintings for my therapy office. Can I deduct this expense? If so, under what category?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I purchased original paintings for my therapy office. Can I deduct this expense? If so, under what category?

Yes, these can be deducted, provided they are an ordinary and "necessary" business expense.  As long as the expense is a reasonable one (in other words, not a collectible art purchase that is an investment in disguise as an expense.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Duplicate question
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, these can be deducted, provided they are an ordinary and "necessary" business expense.  As long as the expense is a reasonable one (in other words, not a collectible art purchase that is an investment in disguise as an expense.)

Thank you! Under what category can art work be deducted for my office? I am self-employed.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Probably just "miscellaneous deduction" These are at the end and go into "other supplies".  Office deco isn't an official category, so this last category is kind of the catch-all for legitimate deductions that don't go anywhere else.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

By the way, I meant to finish and say that no one wants to go into an undecorated therapy office.  So, it is a typical or "ordinary" expense, and is also a "necessary" one since it is for a legitimate business reason.

So helpful, thanks!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies