Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TWS2

HSA Excess Employer Contribution Error - Please help.

My wife and I were enrolled in a HDHP Family Plan all year.  I contributed the full amount of $7,750 to my HSA by payroll reduction.  This shows on Box 12b of my W-2, Code W.   For some reason, TurboTax is showing this is an Excess Employer contribution and must be withdrawn or will be subject to a 6% penalty.  This is incorrect, since we were both eligible to contribute this amount.  All of the questions are correctly answered but the system STIL says it is an Excess Employer Contribution and must be withdrawn.   Any suggestions??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The contribution limit is $7,750 for the two of you combined.  If each of you made a $7,750 contribution, there has been an excess contribution of $7,750 between the two of you.

Otherwise, make sure that that you have completed the HSA contribution section of TurboTax to establish your eligibility to have made a $7,750 contribution by being covered by a family HDHP for at least December of 2023.

TWS2

We collectively contributed $7,750.  It shows this for the total contribution amount in the summary and I have confirmed we were both enrolled in a HDHP for the entire year.  There is no duplication of the contribution amount but it says there was an Excess contribution anyway.  Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

Make sure that you have not also entered as a personal contribution any amount reported with code W in box 12 of your W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies