Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plant2000

Do I enter the total mortgage balance from my 1098 if I am married filing separately? We are splitting mortgage and property tax deductions.

If including the entire balance my return significantly drops. Do I only include the portion I am liable for or the entire balance?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Do I enter the total mortgage balance from my 1098 if I am married filing separately? We are splitting mortgage and property tax deductions.

You are liable for the entire balance if you are on the mortgage. You can split the mortgage interest and the property taxes anyway you agree, but you cannot split the mortgage principal balance.

(If you could split the mortgage principal; balance, you would be improperly avoiding the mortgage loan balance limitations for the mortgage interest deduction).

Carl
Level 15

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that if you are filing MFS, you enter total amounts and the program will do the splits for you, provided you elect the option (if presented) to have the program do the splits. I am unable to verify that at this time.

plant2000

Oh no...crap. 

To be clear, even though I only list my portion of the interest and property tax and we are filing separately, the entire principle should be reported on my taxes? We are both listed as borrowers so I figured if splitting everything else why would I not only be responsible for my portion of the principle.I came to this conclusion after reading this short thread- https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/since-you-are-splitting-the-interest-you-will-als...

Do you know of other articles/threads addressing this topic?

Thanks in advance for your patience!  

Carl
Level 15

From what I see in the CD version of the program, you can do it either way. In other words, you can enter total amounts if you elected to have the program "do the splits" for you. Or you can do the splits yourself. It may also matter if you live in a community property state also. I don't live in such a state myself. So not sure what options you would be presented if you do.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies