Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am a rideshare driver. Am I subject to the DOT hours of service limits? As a contractor for Lyft/Uber, am I also actively participating in the operation of business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelDC

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am a rideshare driver. Am I subject to the DOT hours of service limits? As a contractor for Lyft/Uber, am I also actively participating in the operation of business?

Yes. You actively participate in the operation of your business. DOT regulations are for certain industries and occupations that generally require you to be away from home overnight, e.g. over-the-road truck drivers, airline pilots, etc.

If you have additional questions or details regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

gibbs646

If I only drove for 100 hours in my 3 months of driving, did I actively participate?
mijotu

This response appears ambiguous, since it begins with Yes and doesn't differentiate between the two questions. To clarify, wouldn't the following be true:

Yes: Actively participates

No: Not subject to DOT service limits

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It depends which city you are driving. Uber has its own company wide policy of partners not driving for more than 12 hours a day. However, some cities have more stringent work conditions for which Uber will have to comply. So, it depends on where you are registered to drive.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies