Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What are the exemptions for capital gains on house sale with new tax laws in 2018?

Why is Turbotax Home & Business calculating that I owe a capital gain tax on the sale of a primary residence when I meet all of the residency requirements?

dixon418

What are the exemptions for capital gains on house sale with new tax laws in 2018?

Hello:

I fixed a property up and soon will have sold it. I am looking at options to reduce my capital gains liability.

1) Is there a ruling that says that if I buy another property with a certain time frame I can avoid capital gains taxes.

2) After deducting my expenses, is it best to put money in IRA's to reduce taxe liability?

I plan to purchase another property to flip soon. I am just looking for the best tax strategy flipping houses.

Please advise and

Thanks,

Marlon

LynnN82
Expert Alumni

Yes, there is a provision in tax law permitting the tax free exchange of real property that is held for the productions of income (rental, usually) or used in a trade or business, such as a store building or a warehouse. 

if you are in the business of flipping houses, the like kind provision  would not apply to them to get tax-free exchange treatment. 

Here's a great article from TurboTax  on the subject of tax free exchanges, including the form to file if your transaction qualifies.

What is IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchange - TurboTax Tax ... 

Now, about saving tax dollars by contributing to an IRA, here's a great article on that subject and other great ideas. .IRA Deductions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies