Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My siblings and I inherited a small house and I ended up buying them out for a total of $6,000. I renovated the house and sold it. Can I add the $6,000 to calculate FMV?

So if @USM Professor paid $3,000 each and $5,833 was the gift portion then the gift portion would be used as the basis because it's greater than the amount paid.

I think you misread 1(ii).  The basis is whichever is greater...the amount paid ($3000) or the giver's basis ($8,833).  The giver (sibling) received a stepped up basis, and that basis is what is transferred.  Don't be confused by rule (2), that covers increases to basis if the gift has increased in value more than the giver's adjusted basis.  

Example: Suppose my friend owns property that he bought for $10,000 that is now worth $20 million.  He gives me the property.  He is required to pay gift tax on about $7 million (because the $20 million gift is more than the lifetime exemption of $13 million).  My new adjusted basis in the property is $7,010,000. 

That doesn't apply here because the property did not increase in value between the father's death and the sibling's gift.  

My siblings and I inherited a small house and I ended up buying them out for a total of $6,000. I renovated the house and sold it. Can I add the $6,000 to calculate FMV?

I've been following this thread.  I have a question.  Are we sure all 3 siblings inherited it?  Sounded to me like the poster only inherited it.  Just a thought and wrinkle.  

M-MTax
Level 10

In that case, basis is determined by 1(ii), the transferor's adjusted basis. 

That's right.

M-MTax
Level 10

Are we sure all 3 siblings inherited it?  Sounded to me like the poster only inherited it.

Yeah but first there was a will but then we learned that it wasn't signed so it wasn't valid. Sounds like the deceased died intestate and without lineal descendants......with heirs being the 3 siblings.

@VolvoGirl wrote:

I've been following this thread.  I have a question.  Are we sure all 3 siblings inherited it?  Sounded to me like the poster only inherited it.  Just a thought and wrinkle.  

There was a will, unsigned.  All three sibs inherited, taxpayer bought out his sibs with small payments (the house seems to have been in poor condition and needed a lot of work).  Taxpayer was unsure how to calculate their basis to report the sale.

My question was, how is basis affected when the buyout was not at FMV, and was that affected by the fact that the buyer and sellers were related.  @M-MTax  helpfully found the correct regulation.  In the end, the taxpayer is entitled to a full stepped up basis, but by an indirect route.  

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@USM Professor  and my colleagues @Opus 17 , @M-MTax , @VolvoGirl ,   while this is very good discussion  and an illuminating one at that , I see the situation a bit different.

Assumptions  ( just to move away from reality of the case :(

( a)  inheritors  3;

(b)  Estate  of the deceased -- 1. House  ( FMV of 26000 ); 2. Debt/payables  to brother  ( $17000 ) for care and incidentals.

A as executor  buys the house for $26000 ( FMV).  Liquidates the debts (  thus brother made whole ).  The remainder of  $9000 is then distributed to each of the inheritors.

Thus the  buying brother's basis in the [property is  $26000.   He now  spends another $10,000 to rehabilitate the house and sells the house for   $40,000.   His basis in the transaction is  $37,000  ( $26,000 purchase price to provide cash for the estate, pay off the creditors etc. ).  His gain before  adjustment for sales costs  is  $3000.

What is wrong with this scenario ?

I stand down

pk

@pk 

I believe the original poster said they invested $31,000 to rehab the house, not $10,000.  Also, I am not aware that if sibling A (the executor) voluntarily helps his brother (the deceased, sibling D),  with living expenses before D died, there is any way to recover that from the estate.  The expenses of the estate after his brother died, paid by sibling A, were $2500.  I don't see how the expenses that sibling A paid to help out sibling D before D's death create a legal obligation, especially as there seems to be nothing in writing.  That was the purpose of making out a will leaving the house entirely to A, but the will was never signed.  

The three remaining siblings (A, B and C) co-inherited the house because there was no will.

If the three remaining siblings had co-owned the house during the 8 month renovation process, and sold the home together, then each sibling would be entitled to receive 1/3 of the proceeds after reimbursing sibling A the $2500 of estate expenses plus the cost of renovating the house that was paid out of pocket by sibling A.  

However, that's not what happened.  Sibling A bought out sibling B and C for $3000 each.  This seems to have represented a discount price based on the expenses previously paid by sibling A and the need for significant renovations, and the fact that this was the only way sibling A could only perform the renovations without going through probate. Sibling A has still not specified the exact selling price, but based on the way he was calculating basis before the discussion began, and including the FMV of $26,500 and the renovations of $31,000 and proposed capital gains of $184, the selling price seems to have been around $58,000, give or take.   Assuming that to be close, sibling A has $58,000 of cash proceeds. Subtract the $31,000 for renovations and the $2500 for estate expenses (A reimbursing themself), that leaves $24,500, or $8,166 per sibling.  Since A has already paid sibling B and C $3000 each, A's remaining obligation to B and C is $5,166.  However, that is a moral obligation, not a legal one, unless A, B and C have a verbal or written contract about dividing the proceeds of the house sale.  (If we take the other $15,000 of pre-decease expenses into account, the remainder to be split 3 ways is $9500, or $3166 per sibling, and since B and C have already received $3000, the remainder due to them is $166.  That would depend on whether the voluntary assistance with living and medical expenses creates a legal or moral obligation.)

But that is really beside the point.  A's original question was how to determine the basis when reporting the transaction on their tax return; how much of the gain, if any, is taxable.  Here, § 1.1015-4 comes into play.  If the FMV was $26,500 (determined by the offer to buy by the shady buyer), then even though it was co-inherited by A, B and C, by the time A had full legal ownership, A's basis is stepped up to the FMV of $26,500.  A can then add renovation expenses (but not repair expenses), and A can include some other legal expenses from publication 523 that they may not have been aware of.  

And I don't think A needs to hire a tax attorney to figure this out, unless they need guidance on the repair vs improvement issue.  A may spend more money for tax advice than they would save in taxes.  A just needs to carefully document everything and keep the paperwork for 7 years, in case of audit.  

@USM Professor 

By the way, this is what happens when all the volunteers hanging around after the tax deadline don't have enough new questions to answer, so we all pile on to anything that seems interesting. 

Cheers. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies