Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Eric29
Returning Member

Subsistence allowance

I added in my subsistence allowance for SC first responders under my state returns. Im entitled to $8 everyday I worked for the year. I worked 173 days which should add $1,394 to my state tax return. When i go to file turbotax is not adding my subsistence allowance. How to i get it to be added?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Subsistence allowance

Since you've already entered your South Carolina return, click State in the left pane of TurboTax Online, and then click Continue or Edit next to the state. 

Then, answer the questions on the first few screens, until you come to a page Here's the income that South Carolina handles differently

Towards the bottom of that page, you'll see a heading Public service, then just below that, "Subsistence Allowance."  Click Start or Edit to enter your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Eric29
Returning Member

Subsistence allowance

I have entered the subsistence allowance but it will not add it to my SC refund

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Subsistence allowance

The SC subsistence allowance is a subtraction from income, thus it reduces your SC taxable income.  It does not add directly to your tax liability or to your refund.

On your SC1040, the subsistence allowance is shown on line s of the Subtractions from Federal Taxable Income section.

Subsistence allowance

Why would it be added on lines of the  "Subtractions from Federal Taxable Income section" if your answer previous to this says to go to the state tax return section. I'm confused.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Subsistence allowance

South Carolina figures what you pay taxes on differently from the federal government. 

So, in order to show what is taxed differently in South Carolina the TurboTax program starts with your federal income. 

Then, if South Carolina adds taxes for some reason then your South Carolina taxable income would show as 'Additions to federal income' in order to arrive at a total that is the South Carolina taxable income. 

In this case the subsistence allowance reduces the amount of income that you pay taxes on so the South Carolina Taxable income is the federal taxable income MINUS the subsistence allowance.

Subsistence allowance

Awesome! Thank you

CMAGIERA

Subsistence allowance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies