Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does turbo tax remove my son which is 19 living at home and not going to school as a dependent?

I am having an issue with the software where it asks questions about dependents.  When it gets to the section and asks Was he a Full-Time student in 2023?

If you are truthful and say no it removes him from every aspect of the dependent.  If you say yes then it keeps him on as a dependent and you get a $500 tax credit.  

This is a requirement on an medical insurance plan and he has to be listed as a dependent and without appearing on the list, he cant be on the plan even though the ACA says they don't need to go to school.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why does turbo tax remove my son which is 19 living at home and not going to school as a dependent?

If he is age 19 or older, not a full time student and had gross income in 2023 of $4,700 or more then you cannot claim him as a dependent.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If your 19-year-old son is not a full-time student, he can't be a qualifying child dependent.   However, if he earned less than $4700 in 2023, you can claim him as a qualifying relative dependent.   Dependent Requirements

He can be on your health plan, but your Premium Tax Credit is dependent upon your family size, zip code and annual income.   If you qualify for a credit based on your family size estimate including him and then he is not claimed as a dependent on your tax return, you may have to pay back the advance PTC.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That’s the thing. The insurance plan requires him to be listed as a dependent on the first page on the taxes. 
So if the IRS won’t allow him to be a dependent even though I support over half his living expenses just because he’s not going to school. The insurance plan won’t add him even though they say he doesn’t need to be in school but require the tax page that has him listed on it which can’t because he’s not in school. The amount he makes doesn’t matter if you say he’s in school so why does it matter if I say he’s not?  Just really stupid. 

Sorry that's the rule.  If over 18 has to make less than 4,700 or be under 24 and a full time student.

See IRS Publication 501 starting on page 11 bottom Dependents

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

For his own insurance check your state Marketplace Exchange or healthcare.gov.  State Medicaid may also be available.

The Affordable Care Act requires plans and issuers that offer dependent child coverage to make the coverage available until the adult child reaches the age of 26.

He doesn't have to be your dependent.

@silentzypher 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies