Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Work on the side as a musician. How do I deduct expenses for instrument maintenance/supplies? Do they go under Repairs/Maintenance and/or Supply Expense?

The descriptions of those expense types don't fit my situation. Repairs/Maintenance is about building maintenance. Supply Expense basically lists office supplies. Not sure if my expenses (repairing violin, purchasing strings and other supplies) count under those listed categories or if they should go under "Miscellaneous" on the later page.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Work on the side as a musician. How do I deduct expenses for instrument maintenance/supplies? Do they go under Repairs/Maintenance and/or Supply Expense?

@musician98 wrote:
The descriptions of those expense types don't fit my situation. Repairs/Maintenance is about building maintenance. Supply Expense basically lists office supplies. Not sure if my expenses (repairing violin, purchasing strings and other supplies) count under those listed categories or if they should go under "Miscellaneous" on the later page.

"Work on the side as a musician..."

You didn't specify if you are an employee in your work or self-employed/independent contractor, or if you do both.

In this answer I'll assume you are preparing a Schedule C for self-employed/independent contractor.  If you are an employee, the answer would be different.  

Under Business Expenses you can use the miscellaneous "other expenses" section for anything that doesn't neatly fit into one of the suggested expense categories, and it lets you annotate to describe each "other expense."  Such as this example:

Instrument repair  $325

Accessories/supplies $160

Professional publications $65

Professional dues  $125   (see note below)

NOTE:  Do you have any musician union dues related to your self-employment income?    And are you also sometimes an employee on some gigs instead of an independent contractor?   If so, you can allocate between the 2 situations and deduct the portion of your dues related to your self-employed income.  You may need to also allocate for other expenses in a similar manner, if you work in both types of situations (employee and independent contractor.)

Thanks! The music income is all self-employed/independent contractor work (got one 1099). I do get a W-2 for my day job, but that is in a completely different field. I'm not in a union.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies