Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbotax not importing 1099 from etrade properly

First, 3 weeks ago etrade was just straight up missing about 20-30% of trades, that seems to have been fixed after some updates.  Now, some of the information from the trades are still missing, specifically the 'sales category'  for short\long covered\not covered, for every single trade.  This information is available via the 1099, but I'm not about to enter it for every single trade.

When will turbotax fix their garbage software?  Last year I buy turbotax...  this year for them has been a nightmare of issues, so disappointing. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

57 Replies

We don't have widespread reports of downloads not working with e*Trade but how many transactions do you have?

There is a limit of 1,500 transactions.  If you've got more, that could be a reason why it isn't working.

I have less than 1500.  Why would importing from an app vs their desktop app yield a difference?

Looking for more eyes from turbotax here.

You can import your 1099B.  Here's how:

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return. 
  2. Search for 1099-B and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: Be sure to select the right financial institution or brokerage from the list. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the wrong First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

You can import up to 1,500 transactions from your financial institution in TurboTax Online.

Go here to see how to take a picture of your 1099-MISC in the mobile app.

Here is a TurboTax article about 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker transactions.

Results are the same, sales category info is missing for every trade.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@hybridtaxguy I would suggest performing an update. You can do this by following the instructions in the following TurboTax Article:  Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) (Updated 1 day ago)

Then I would delete the 1099 import and try re-importing. Please see the article below for instructions to delete and import:

I've deleted the form and re imported many times, same issue even after updating.  

Anyone from turbotax able to root cause this?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

From time to time the broker's format is not compatible with TurboTax.

However, you can quickly enter this manually.  Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category.

There are seven possible "Box" designations that indicate the holding period (Long/Short Term) and the reporting status.  These are the only ones you have to summarize. If you want to manually enter your 1099-B as the summaries.

Tell us about your 1099-B sales for this BOA account

Answer the questions

Since you have more than a few BOA sales, we recommend entering sales section totals

Continue

Before entering sales section totals, take a moment to find them on your 1099-B

Continue

Now, we'll enter one sales section total on your BOA 1099-B

Use the drop down menu to select the correct designation.

Code A. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code B. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box C. Report on a Part I with box C checked all short-term transactions for which you can't check box A or B because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement). 

Code D. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code E. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box F.  Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

1. Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search inside TurboTax for the phrase stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments? and Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  4. If you land on Here are all your 1099-B sales, select Add sales from a different brokerage. Then answer Yes to Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it in myself.
  6. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  7. On the following screen (Tell us about...), answer the questions until you reach the next screen. Select the second option, Let's enter a summary instead, and select Continue.
  8. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.
  9. When you are done, you'll eventually come to the Here's a summary of your broker sales screen where you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

You will have to mail a copy of your 1099-B to the IRS.  TurboTax will produce a Form 8453. You print the Form 8453 and attach the brokerage statement(s) to it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Disappointing Turbotax still hasn't fixed this or acknowledges the bug.

Turboxtax should resolve any compatibility issues with brokerages they say they support.

I'll try Taxact next year as Turbotax has too many bugs.

LV7
Level 1

I am having the same exact problem with Turbotax via the web.  We need a resolution to this issue.

I'll be disputing Intuits software on my credit card if there's no resolution by 3/26, they advertise functionality that does not work.  I will get my money back.  Wish there was more transparency and acknowledgement of issues.  Plenty of people complaining about this issue in this forum and many others, Facebook, etc.

LV7
Level 1

Just wanted to share that I have a solution provided to me from Keisha at Turbotax.  Keisha did an awesome job and walked me through the entire process.  You are not required to upload or enter all of your trades. 

First make sure you completely delete anything you imported.  Then go back and select to enter trades manually.   You are only entering 1 SALE for each account.  The SALE you enter will be the total of your Proceeds and Cost Basis.   Etrade provides this information on the 1099-B Total Summary Page.  

Not a valid solution for people with 1200 trades.  Not sure if you even had the same issue originally reported.  Not a solution for my issue, but thanks for your comment.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

From time to time the broker's format is not compatible with TurboTax.

If you only have a few trades you can post them manually.                                                              

Income & Expenses

1. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
  3. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
  4. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.
  5. Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to Enter sales one by one when asked.
  6. On the Now, we'll enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info.

However, if there are more than a few you can quickly enter this manually also. 

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category.

There are seven possible "Box" designations that indicate the holding period (Long/Short Term) and the reporting status.  These are the only ones you have to summarize. If you want to manually enter your 1099-B as the summaries.

1. Tell us about your 1099-B sales for this  account
  2. Answer the questions
  3. Since you have more than a few  sales, we recommend entering sales section totals
  4. Continue
  5. Before entering sales section totals, take a moment to find them on your 1099-B
  6. Continue
  7. Now, we'll enter one sales section total on your  1099-B
  8. Use the drop down menu to select the correct designation.

Code A. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code B. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box C. Report on a Part I with box C checked all short-term transactions for which you can't check box A or B because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement). 

Code D. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code E. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box F.  Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

1. Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search inside TurboTax for the phrase stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments? and Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  4. If you land on Here are all your 1099-B sales, select Add sales from a different brokerage. Then answer Yes to Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it in myself.
  6. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  1. On the following screen (Tell us about...), answer the questions until you reach the next screen. Select the second option, Let's enter a summary instead, and select Continue.
  2. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.
  3. When you are done, you'll eventually come to the Here's a summary of your broker sales screen where you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

You will have to mail a copy of your 1099-B to the IRS.  TurboTax will produce a Form 8453. You print the Form 8453 and attach the brokerage statement(s) to it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When will Intuit\Turbotax acknowledge this bug?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies