TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
14 people found this useful

I have not started my 2015 tax return. How do I transfer my 2014 tax information into TurboTax online edition?

If you used either Turbo Tax online edition, TurboTax CD/download or UFile Windows for tax year 2014, you can transfer personal information and carry forward amounts into the TurboTax online edition for tax year 2015.

Important: You can only transfer information from last year’s tax return when you first start your return.

Before you begin, ensure that you saved last year’s tax return on your computer. If you used TurboTax CD/download, the file extension is .tt14. If you used UFile Windows, the file extension is .u14.

If you can’t find your TurboTax file, contact us. If you can’t find the UFile Windows file, contact UFile.

Transferring 2014 Information from TurboTax CD/download or UFile Windows

If you used the CD/download edition of TurboTax or UFile Windows to complete your tax return last year, complete the following steps to transfer the information:

1. Go to TurboTax.ca and select Sign In > Start or Continue My 2015 Tax Return.
    The welcome page appears.
  2. Select Start My Return.
    The product selection page appears.
  3. Choose either Standard, Premier or Home & Business.
  4. Select Continue.
    The Create Your Account page appears.
  5. Enter your information and select Create account.
    A page appears: Let’s see if we can save you some time.
  6. For the question Did you use tax software last year? select Yes.
    A box appears asking: Which product did you use?
  7. Choose your product and select Continue.
    A page appears: Let’s start with last year’s return.
  8. Drag your .tt14 (TurboTax) or .u14 (UFile) file into the Drag & Drop box.
    A confirmation appears under the Drag & Drop box, showing that your file has been successfully added.
  9. Select Continue.
    A page appears: Is this the file you want to transfer?
  10. Select Continue.
    A page appears: File transfer summary.
  11. Select Continue.

Your tax information is transferred and ready to use. Proceed with your tax return.

Transferring 2014 Information from TurboTax online edition

If you used the online edition of TurboTax to complete last year’s tax return, complete the following steps to transfer your information:

1. Go to TurboTax.ca and select Sign In > Start or Continue My 2015 Tax Return.
    The sign-in page appears.
  2. Under Welcome Back! enter the same user ID and password you used last year.
    The product selection page appears.
  3. Choose either Standard, Premier or Home & Business.
  4. Select Continue.
    A page appears: Hi! We're so glad you're back.
  5. For the question Do you want us to transfer last year's return for (your name[s]) into your new return? select Transfer Return.
    A page appears: Has anything changed since last year?
  6. Choose an answer, if one applies.
  7. Select Continue.
    A page appears: What do you want to transfer into this year’s return?
  8. Choose an answer.
  9. Select Continue.
    A page appears: File transfer summary.
  10. Select Continue.

Your tax information is transferred and ready to use. Proceed with your tax return.

Helpful Resources

HOW14494